The modern classic building La Fonderie is siuated at 211 Montcalm Street in Gatineau. It’s vocational mandate related to the industrious nature of the old Cité de Hull at the turn of the twentieth century. The first floor was build in 1913-1914 by Hull Iron and Steel Foundries. They were the fourth largest iron and steel transformation company in Canada. The departmens of Mining, Railways and the National Defence all received contributing services from the Hull Iron and Steel Foundries.
Between 1928 and 1929, a first extension was built on the building. In 1942, the company decided to add a second floor to the building. Richards and Abra were the architects that designed the plans that were set in stone by Brunet et Fils enterprises. The window surface of the foundry building is impressive and is an exceptional architectural achievement for a 1940′s building. The company ceased to exist in 1946.
In 1948, Hull Manufacturing Company Limited bought the industrial complex and sold it to J. H. Connor & Son Limited. The interior of the building was reconfigured. In 1960, the company sold the building.
Between 1974 and 1977, the National Capital Commission bought the building and gave its rights to the Cité de Hull in the year 2000. It is then and there that the Association régionale de soccer de l’Outaouais (ARSO) came into play and created the Centre multisport.
Renovations to the building by the Ville de Gatineau started in 2003 and in 2004. Gestion ARSO installed a multi-sports surface and two soccer fields. The Centre multisport in Gatineau opened in 2004.